Hold it there, Bill.  Lautenwerk appears to have been a perfectly real
instrument.  Check out fine recordings of Robert Hill, Geoffrey Thomas (in
this case, Bohm's music, not Bach's), Elizabeth Farr, Kim Heindel, etc. on
such a thing.

In this case, "Prelude pour La Luth o Cembal" literally translates as
"Prelude for the lute or harpsichord."

The playability of Bach's hypothetical lute works is a matter of frequent
discussion.  At least in some cases, lautenwerk seems a fair enough
speculation.  In some cases, the lute version is a setting in somebody
else's hand.  I will leave detail to those more knowledgeable than I on the
subject.

Best,
Eugene