Not easy to do... I'll try and see what happens.

   Thanks a lot.

   2011/10/22 Rockford Mjos <[1]rm...@comcast.net>

     I'm not quite convinced by this form of transcription, myself. I
     have seen editions using a similar technique in decades past,
     including an early use of a computer program to convert tab to staff
     (perhaps it was German tab and used black noteheads).
     But Finale can recreate this style. I use Finale for tablature and
     regular notation. (Samples on my Ning EG&V and Lute member pages.)
     Gilberts notes are evenly spaced no matter what the the speed of of
     the above-staff rhythms, and half-note noteheads (they are angled
     more than whole notes) were used. So all notes would be entered as
     half-notes and each measure may require a different time signature
     (which will be hidden). In the Staff Attributes window, uncheck
     Stems and Time Signatures. I would probably turn them off after
     entering all notes and before final spacing and layout.
     Here's how this could be done in Finale using the sample of Toccata
     I:
     Count each note entry in your measure. so measure 1 would be set to
     1/2. Enter the notes. Set the meter for measure to 4/2 and enter
     notes. Set meter of measure 3 to 7/2 and enter notes, etc. I would
     enter the above staff notes as Lyrics. At this point I would turn
     off Stem and Time SIgnature display.
     -- R