Dear Christopher,

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: "Christopher Wilke" <[1]chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   To: "A. J. Ness" <[2]arthurjn...@verizon.net>;
   <[3]baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 8:34 AM
   Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: D# Minor Suite

   > Arthur,
   >
   > --- On Sun, 10/30/11, A.  J. Ness <[4]arthurjn...@verizon.net> wrote:
   >
   >> But one wouldn't transcribe it in D# minor
   >> (SEVEN sharps), as Eklund does, but
   >> rather as Sterling indicates in E flat
   >> minor (only six flats<g>).

   Dear Christopher,

   > I agree that the key signature of 7 sharps is rather cumbersome to
   read, but there is precedent for it in the baroque.  In Book 1 of the
   Well Tempered Clavier, Bach pairs a prelude in E-flat minor (key sig, 6
   flats) with a fugue in D# minor (7 sharps).  (A very complex fugue, by
   the way, with much ingenious use of stretto.)  In Book 2, both prelude
   and fugue are written in D# minor.

   <<AJB>> I have an even better one for you.  In the chaconne composed by
   Tomasso Vitali, one variation has the violin in D# minor and the basso
   continuo in E flat major.   (It--incidentally--is by Vitali: the
   original 18th-century manuscript is in the Dresden Landesbibliothek;
   his father also wrote wierd music--a kind of 18th-century Chas. Ives &
   Son.)

   <<AJN>>  The second suite in the manuscript (Uppsala, Instr. mus hs
   20:13) is in Gis
   dur.  That would require 8 sharps (F gets two sharps, = double sharp),
   and
   surely the composer intended A flat major. Consistency would suggest E
   flat minor for the first suite.  I find Ekland's arguments for Dis moll
   to be rather weak.  He doesn't understand that the key designations are
   derived  from the scale for German keyboard tablature.

    > As for the major mode pieces occupying the space between D and E,
   Bach writes all of those in E-flat major (3 flats).

   <<AJN>> I'm afraid you're confused, Christopher. In German keyboard
   tablature the spelling of the note between D and E is Dis, not Es (E
   flat), as you write. Recall the Eroica in Dis. Only B is  indicated
   with a "flat" in
   German keyboard tablature. Otherwise keys with flats are "spelled" with
   the
   enharmonic sharp spelling. You need to reread my explanation. That's
   the questrion that started this thread. The ciphers for various
   keyboard tablatures are diagramed in my article "tablature" in the New
   HDM.

   > In the end, I think the issue is moot when dealing with a piece
   notated in tablature since sources like Burwell and the concerti of
   Radolt show that various pitch levels were used for different sized
   "baroque" lutes.[*]

    <<AJN>> We are discussing pieces with a specified key identified in
   the source with
   ciphers used in German keyboard tablature.  With lute of different
   sizes the key is specified, regardless of the actual
   sounding pitch. Naming the "key" as a kind of title provides guidance
   to the player.  The
   fingerings for scales, chords, etc., in A flat are going to be
   different
   from those for E major.  So it's not moot.  The rubrics in Daza's
   tablature book (1576?) serve a similar purpose in orienting the player
   and singer to the mode.

   *Also take care.  Sometimes it is the voice part that is to
   be transposed!!!!!

   AJN.