Arto-

 Bill got it-  that's the one.
http://www.hermitageshop.org/store/images/large/0003150A4_3_LRG.jpg

"Double firsts seem not to be popular these days, presumably because they are a
little difficult to play on (I speak from experience) and possibly also because
they imply a lower pitch than we currently tend to regard as normal."

 "We're so used to the single chanterelle "singing" that it just becomes normal
to our ears. The double, otoh, sounds like an extension of the 2nd course and,
as such, more integrated w/ the other strings...it sounds great in polyphonic
compositions where you don't want to get distracted by the top string taking
the attention."

Martin & Sean's comments capture not only the the modern, but perhaps also some
historic reasons pro/con the doubled first. Perhaps the most common reason
reason historically for the single first may have been the trouble & expense of
keeping the most highly stressed & often replaced string doubled- not to
mention problems of falseness- a marginal but acceptable string would not be
acceptable with non-identical mate.

I have had three instruments- one lute and two vihuelas in my career with the
doubled first option. Only my current vihuela, a "Chambure" copy by Harris &
Barber has succeeded for me with double. And, as Martin said, works best
pitched a bit lower. "A" Floats between a-392 and 400 (nominal "g", 64 cm.)
whereas the builders- incl. Dan Larson who builds superb versions of this
instrument- recommend "a" up to 415.

And as Sean has said, the first course when doubled gets fired from its gig as
Prima Donna of the strings and goes back into the choir as the Treble section.
Works wonderfully for all that polyphony, especially the sacred intabulations.
"Difficult to play on" yes, but well worth the effort on the right instrument.
Takes a bit of work to determine that, sometimes. Pitches, tensions, string
gauges all must be carefully tweaked; then the touch patiently, carefully
cultivated. And in the end, one may well decide it's not best after all.
Hopkinson Smith once told me that he switched from a double chanterelle on his
vihuela to a single when one of the pair broke; he just happily left it as it
was. I'm sure that happened in the past a lot too.

Dan