You can't really appreciate how ugly the Arnault de Zwolle lute design is until
you have one. As DT rightly observes,   "When you look at a copy of Arnaut's
lute, it always looks a bit odd. It always seems as though something is not
quite right.  Some of the iconography shows lutes where the curves seem bumpy
rather than smooth, similar to Arnaut's drawing."

This is an interpretation built in the early 1970's - bumps and all.  It is,
unfortunately, my only 6 course.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/danwinheld/?action=view&current=SixCourse.jpg

Sounds much better than it looks, which is why I allow it to live.
I think David Van Edwards has nailed it- too late for this one, though.

Dan