On 01/31/2012 07:09 PM, Bruno Fournier wrote:

My wife is a luthier and always uses wet heat. Alcohol will damage the varnish and repairing the varnish is a lot of extra work, especially with violins and celli. (Although after the opening and closing of the instruments a varnish repair is also necessary with the wet heat tool, but much less). Using alcolhol is the amateur way of working. In the same line: A lutemaker in the netherlands used/uses woodglue to glue damaged lutebridges. Although he thinks himself a professional he's clearly not.
taco

    Have always used wet heat.

    wouldn't regluing after be a problem? as there might be remnants of the
    alcohol preventing the glue from binding properly?

    Bruno

    On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM, William Samson