We also need to consider "striatal learning."
There are two types of learning: Declarative and Striatal
Declarative memory is what we usually think of when we use the word
"memory."  It's a collection of facts (or factoids) and concepts.  We can
describe or declare the contents of declarative memory, and can add to our
memory store with study e.g., vocabulary, names, places, "the news" etc.
Striatal memory on the other hand, is completely different. It's procedural
and relates to "doing."  You can describe how to ride a bicycle verbally
(declarative) but it's of little or no help.  You learn by doing.  This
applies to a lot of skilled actions, including playing a musical instrument.
In fact, if you try to describe what you're doing, you wind up like the
proverbial centipede, who, when asked which leg went first, was paralyzed,
unable to walk.
Declarative and procedural memory are stored in different locations in the
brain (or at least involve separate structures), declarative using the
cerebral cortex and striatal the basal ganglia, especially the corpus
striatum (hence the name).
A great "experiment of nature" was a patient widely known in the neurologic
literature.  A pianist, who sustained damage to areas of the brain involved
in storing declarative memory, woke up each day with no memory of what went
before.  In fact, if distracted, anything that was in "working memory"
(Short term, like repeating a phone number you've been told as you dial)
disappeared.  Nothing new could get into declarative memory.  Yet, if given
a piece of music, he could practice it until he played fluently.  Then, if
the score were taken away for a few seconds or minutes and re-presented, he
would state that he had never before seen that piece.  However, on sitting
down to play, could play it perfectly, showing the effects of practice.

Patients with "isolated" defects in processing declarative memory are
described below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterograde_amnesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_%28patient%29

I'd think that different capacities for striatal learning might enable one
to benefit more (or less) from practice.  Rapid movements are in part
dependent on the basal ganglia.  But what do I know -- I'm just a simple
country endocrinologist, with a little neurology, and less musical talent
(though perhaps I'll blame it on my c. striatum!).

Al