Roman,

Yes , no one questions that. Lute Suites are not well written for lute, for
sure. Weather they are playable or not can be discussed. However we are not
talking about this. The question is if Bach intended them to be performed on a
lute. I can tell you something from my own experience. Many years ago when I
studied in London there was a Polish composer who wanted to write a guitar
piece which was commissioned for a special occasion. Because I was asked to
perform it he consulted me several times on playability of some passages. In
spite he was obviously aware of the range of classical guitar, the way he
structured his music was very unintuitive.  If he hadn't had a guitarist to
consult during a compositional process probably he would have written something
unplayable for someone who would try to take the score literally. Now, could
you imagine that Bach being probably one of the most prolific composer in
history of music, but being mostly as we say nowadays a keyboard player !
 would have time to study possibilities of an instrument that he did not play
himself? Possibly he knew the range of this instrument and how it sounds, but
the idea that he would have cared about every note to be played comfortably on
a lute seems to me not tenable. In fact it is quite possible that being fond of
lute's sound (as we know from some writings and his love for lute-harpsichord
and clavichord) and being asked by Mr Schouster he made an arrangement of his
work with a real intention of editing it for lute players.
Anyway, it's just a speculation, but it shows that one can interpret the same
data in many different ways. Until more evidence is found it is better to
refrain from making up new theories, I suppose.
All best

JL

 isticWiadomość napisana przez Roman Turovsky w dniu 30 kwi 2012, o godz. 04:42: