I call that extra tied on bit a leader. If I use a less stretchy material I know I'll have less spring between peg and nut which speeds and stabilizes tuning. That w/ a bit of beeswax at the nut makes for quicker work.

The other reason I'll use it is economy. Sometimes I can get two lengths from a string that would give only one w/out a leader --or three from a nominally two-length string. If I'm _really_ in a pinch the knot will start off between the nut and the 1st fret and just lie behind the nut when tuned up which is not for the faint of heart. I have many different size lutes so I'm constantly measuring and planning.

Sometimes I'll use a slightly larger diameter gut string or a hemp string. Back in the late 70's my lute teacher (a master of string parsimony) advocated good old kitchen string.

Sean

ps Ha! 3 folks already answered while it took me the same time to oversay the same thing. Hell, I'll send it anyway.