Dear Jaroslaw
           Thank you again for raising the discussion. I quite understand
   and am very happy that you are busy, a very good thing for a musician.
   It happens that I have to travel for the next few weeks (unfortunately,
   not on tour as for yourself), so it would be best for me to gather my
   thoughts, and come back to this after Christmas. I have just been able
   to respond punctually on one or two questions.
   On the question of the tendency to putrify, or simply to be badly made
   of Lyons according to Mace. The important thing to notice is that this
   is not true of the Pistoys (according to him). Interestingly a few
   years before, the Burwell text indicates that Lyons and Romans are
   excellent strings and none other any good.
   Barbieri's research came up with documents showing that French
   merchants, presumably from Lyons actually brought a model of string to
   the Roman atelier (probably new basses for the new French lute) and
   from then on during a fairly long period imported a huge ammount of
   strings from Rome. It seems that the Lyons strings were outsourced. Now
   the demands being very large, perhaps this did result in a slip in
   quality (as this tends to do now).
   In Burwell there is no mention of Pistoys. Is it possible that the
   Pistoy basses that are mentioned in Mace were the response of other
   Italian string makers to the huge output of sometimes sub standard
   basses from Rome? Well this is just speculation; and whether, the one
   type were loaded and the other not is of course further speculation.
   The ones from Rome could just as well have been rather badly loaded.
   It would not be surprising however, if an important musician of the
   time, as Charles Mouton certainly was, seems to have been "caught" by
   de Troy using those very best bass types.
   So much for now, but I will be pleased to come back to our discussion
   in the new year (something to look forward to).
   Regards
   Anthony