Dear lutenists,

if memory serves, we have been talking about one interesting question of interpreting German tabulature: when (especially) Hans Newsidler repeated a short note after longer one, did he really mean repeating the pluck, or did he thus just in this way express a note with a dot? Did he mean just a tie?

An example (translated to French tabulature) (use monospace!):

  |\       |\\   |\
  |        |     |
  |        |     |
__a_____a__a__c__d_______
_____|______________|____
_____|__b________b__|____
__c__|__c________c__|____ ...

So, should or shouldn't the top string third a be plucked or not? I vote that you should not repeat the pluck!

I played Hans' intabulation of Ludvig Senfl's famous Lied "Elslein liebstes Elslein mein". I made two versions: First literally as it is written, second as I think it is meant to be played. The piece becomes much more vocal-like that way, and it also feels much more natural.

Take a look (take a hear (can you say so in English?)):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pakfWwq8wok&feature=youtu.be
  http://vimeo.com/58727395

What do you vote?

All the best,