Dear Howard,

   Who were "they"?

   Absolute strict time was certainly unknown to them (musicians), we take
   this idea for granted nowadays because of the mechanical age we live
   in. Absolute precision is our game not theirs...

   If "they" were dancers, they probably valued musicians who kept strict
   time.

   Sure, when playing together we must be together. The example given is
   of a solo performance by Mr. North. Solo music by nature allows us to
   be freer in time.

    I imagine a group of amateurs playing or singing multi-part music
   would keep fairly strict time just in the interest of staying together,
   unless there were good reason (in the words, for example) to alter the
   tactus.

   Exactly, not just amateurs but professional too.

     These were musical activities far more important than solo lute
   music, and lute players participated in them.

   Well, by the sheer number of 16th century solo publications for lute, I
   wouldn't be so sure of such statement.

      Nobody spent the bulk of their musical time practicing solo lute
   music, which is something we can easily forget if solo music is the
   biggest part of our own musical efforts.

   Oh yes, who is nobody? Amateurs or professionals? Well, the duties of a
   professional included to compose, arrange, teach, play solos, acompany
   singers, play continuo and much more. But did the amateurs have the
   same duties? Maybe playing solos was indeed very common, and
   people spent a good deal of time on it.

   It seems that Lully paid a high price trying to keep musicians playing
   in absolute strict time...

   2013/4/9 howard posner <[1]howardpos...@ca.rr.com>

     On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:26 PM, Bruno Correia <[2]bruno.l...@gmail.com>
     wrote:
     >   How absolute metric time could have been acheived in the
     Renaissance?
     >   The tactus was a constant pulse behind the rhythm, but it was an
     >   organic motion not a strict measured time like a metronome.
     >   Actually, the only genre of music (which comes to my mind) that
     really
     >   plays in time is pop music... How do we know they valued
     absolute
     >   strict time in the Renaissance?
     Who were "they"?
     If "they" were dancers, they probably valued musicians who kept
     strict time.  I imagine a group of amateurs playing or singing
     multi-part music would keep fairly strict time just in the interest
     of staying together, unless there were good reason (in the words,
     for example) to alter the tactus.  These were musical activities far
     more important than solo lute music, and lute players participated
     in them.   Nobody spent the bulk of their musical time practicing
     solo lute music, which is something we can easily forget if solo
     music is the biggest part of our own musical efforts.
     I don't mean to suggest that you should set your metronome at the
     beginning of a polyphonic fantasy and stick doggedly with it.  I
     think that variation in tempo would have been part of an approach
     that relied heavily on understanding music in the rhetorical terms
     that were part of an educated person's vocabulary.   You might, for
     example, vary the tempo if you perceive a phrase as an anadiplosis
     or an anaphora, and two players might have differing views about
     such things.
     So there might not actually have been a "they."  Is there any reason
     to think there weren't just as many views about how to play
     something as there are now?  This was, after all, an age utterly
     without the homogenizing influence of recordings and radio.