This is a paraphrase made by David Hill in 2009 (of all the books of
   Dowland) and posted on [1]johndowland.co.uk, but no more available.
   Let me know if you want to a have a copy.
   Fine knacks for ladies, cheape choise brave and new,
   Good penniworths but mony cannot move,
   I keepe a faier but for the faier to view,
   A begger may bee liberall of loue,
   Though all my wares be trash, the hart is true.
   Great gifts are guiles and looke for gifts againe,
   My trifles come, as treasures from my minde,
   It is a precious Iewell to bee plaine,
   Sometimes in shell th' orienst36 pearles we finde,
   Of others take a sheafe, of mee a graine.
   Within this packe pinnes points laces & gloves,
   And divers toies fitting a country faier,
   But my37 hart, where duety serves and loves,
   Turtles and twins, courts brood, a heavenly paier,
   Happy the hart that thinks of no removes.
   I (a `pedlar'), have fine small goods for ladies: cheap, rare, exciting
   and new. They are good
   value for money, though money alone does not motivate me. I hold back
   my finest goods for
   only the fairest to see, for a `beggar' such as I can easily afford to
   be generous in dispensing
   his love. Even though all my goods-in-trade are really worthless trash,
   my heart is true and
   constant.
   Those great gifts (such as wealth) are deceptive, and you should look
   for other qualities, for,
   in my case, even my most trivial cheap `goods' are, in fact,
   `treasures' that come from my
   mind (i.e. wit). It is a rare and valuable thing to appear plain and
   simple, as I do, for
   sometimes we find the bright, shining pearl inside the coarse shell (of
   the oyster). My quality
   of `stock' (wit and charm) is such that, whereas you may take a whole
   `sheaf' of others, you38
   need only to take a `grain' in weight of me!
   Though here, in my pedlar's bundle, I carry a stock of pins, aiglets39,
   laces and gloves, and
   various trivial small goods suitable for a humble country fair, my
   heart (because I serve both
   40duty and love equally) carries constancy, as is embodied by the
   turtle doves and the
   famous twins41 , the offspring of Zeus (who also represent duty and
   love) - truly a heavenly
   pair. Happy is the heart that thinks of no higher state42 (than one who
   serves with such
   constancy).
   36
   Orient meant bright and shining in the 17th century: "We have spoken of
   the cause of orient colours in
   birds..." (Bacon - Natural History 1607); "...He offers to each weary
   traveller/ Orient liquor in a crystal
   glass." (Milton - Paradise Lost 1667). `Orienst', as here, may simply
   be a misprint for `orient'. Diana
   Poulton asserted that "Orienst is a good Elizabethan word, the
   superlative of orient.." (John Dowland, p.
   267, 1982), though I have not been able to confirm this.The word is not
   used anywhere in Shakespeare.
   37
   The original printed copies give: `But my hart...', not `in my hart',
   as is given in all modern printed
   editions (following E.H. Fellowes). `My' can easily be sung to the two
   notes as Dowland probably
   intended without inserting an extra word. The poet is saying that his
   heart is constant, like the turtles and
   twins, not that they are ` in his heart'.
   38
   A grain was traditionally the smallest unit of measured weight, based
   upon a grain of wheat.
   39
   Pointed metal end-tags for laces.
   40
   Noted for mating for life, and displaying constant affection.
   41
   Castor and Pollux, the sons of Zeus and Leda (`courts brood' - Zeus
   seduced Leda in the form of a
   swan). The key element of the twins' myth, as far as this song is
   concerned, relates to the filial love and
   constancy demonstrated by Pollux when Castor was mortally wounded -
   Pollux was given the choice of
   elevation to Olympus, or of giving half his immortality to his twin,
   the latter of which he chose. Zeus
   placed Castor and Pollux in the heavens as the constellation Gemini -
   `a heavenly pair'
   42
   `Removes' means an elevation of status at this date - see also no. 15
   `White as lillies'