    From: Nancy Carlin <na...@nancycarlinassociates.com>
    To: "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Sent: Tuesday, 6 August 2013, 19:56
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: general public Lute awareness
    As some of you know I spent 35 years as an agent for musicians, between
    my 2 stints with the LSA - a lot of this time was working on building
    careers and salability for folk and Celtic musicians. I see a few
    things missing that other genres of music have used to grab toe holds
    in the ladder toward success (or just keeping the heads above water).
    - web pages. This is the first place where potential employers (concert
    promoters etc.) look to find contact information. There are more than a
    few "names" in the lute world who do not have their own web sites. When
    you Google them all you get is links to buy their CDs.
    - email lists. I have yet to see a paper out at a lute concert where
    the players is collecting emails for his own mailing list. Concert
    promoters have a hard time getting audiences out and need all the help
    they can get. Musicians who help them fill the seats get booked.
    - the lute world seems to be made up of players of all levels, but
    completely empty of people who are just fans. Take a look at the
    audience base for Irish music - there are tons of people who have never
    played an instrument and never will, but who love going out to hear
    live music.
    - a common comment from concert and festival presenters is that they
    are looking for performers who can connect with their audiences. This
    is all the other communication besides playing the music and what they
    usually mean is talking to the audience between the pieces.
    Nancy
    >    Brilliant! Lute lobbyists are the answer, as demonstrated by Mr.
    >    Dubrow's experience.  For the cost of one nuclear sub, the entire
    lute
    >    world could carouse in luxury.
    >
    >    Mark

    -- Nancy Carlin
    Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
    [5]http://lutesocietyofamerica.org/
    PO Box 6499
    Concord, CA 94524
    USA