It's interesting that these two discussions should be going on simultaneously, since both could be regarded as "fake lutes": they deviate from "historical authenticity." As Pat O'Brien tells it, people's hands, like their bodies, were smaller in the 16th and 17th centuries, so were more able to play cleanly on lutes with tighter spacing. Lutenists with small hands, like Paul O'Dette, have an advantage over the rest of us. Widening the string spacing levels the playing field, though it deviates from historic accuracy.

Although I have no interest in owning or playing a liuto forte, I applaud the people experimenting with new instrument designs like this. This will help to make our beloved instrument and its music more accessible in the 21st century, another topic we have been discussing.

It used to be joked about early 20th century harpsichord maker Pleyel that if he experimented enough, eventually he would invent the piano!

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory