   From: David Van Edwards <da...@vanedwards.co.uk>;
   To: <Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>;
   Subject: [LUTE] Biography of Diana Poulton
   Sent: Thu, Sep 19, 2013 8:27:19 PM
   Dear All,
   Just a small shameless plug on behalf of Thea Abbott who has just
   published her biography of the lute pioneer, Diana Poulton, who
   founded the Lute Society and taught most of the major players of
   today.
   Diana Poulton is best known as one of the 20th century's pioneers of
   early music. A student of Arnold Dolmetsch, for many years she was
   the only professional lute-player in England. Her research in the
   library of the British Museum and in private collections laid the
   foundations of much of what is most securely known today about the
   Golden Age of English lute music. The great passion of her life was
   John Dowland and though the beauty of his music captivated and
   entranced her, it was the man himself who came to dominate her
   imagination and dreams.
   Few of those who recognise her name know that Diana could have taken
   a completely different path in life. She was one of "the great
   beauties of the Slade", and began her studies there just after the
   end of the Great War in 1919.
   Diana was 'the lady with the lute', making over 400 broadcasts for
   the BBC giving recitals all over the country, she regularly provided
   lute music for performances of Shakespeare's plays. Her biography of
   John Dowland and her edition of his music are still central to lute
   studies and lute playing.
   Diana had a much wider social circle of contacts and a much more
   vivid personal life than many, even her students, ever knew about.
   Available here: [1]http://www.smokehousepress.co.uk
   Best wishes,
   David
   --