Dear Benjamin, and all,

My lute building career ceased before I finished my first real one (still have the form and the body staves I'd made), so what I say may be irrelevant. My interest moved to the Celtic harp, but I did make - and still play - the "flat back" lute from Musikits (13 string, 7 course). I would guess that the average depth of the "flat back" is similar to the Edlinger's that I saw on web sites. As the principle of Musikits (Jerry Brown) was a player of 12 string guitar he designed this so one could make a lute shaped 12 string guitar or a 13 string lute by filing the string slots in the bridge and nut - he expected most would make the guitar.

Some years back I attended a master class run by Ronn McFarlane (as a listener) and brought my "flat back". After the class I asked Ronn if he would play it and give me his opinion. For some reason, probably as he was a bit wrapped up in the master class, he didn't notice that it was a "flat back" (guitar profile with a lute shape). He played a bit and commented that it had a "sweet" sound - which I interpreted to be that it was different, but nice.

My own ear, listening from the same chair where I'd been for the master class students and Ronn's demonstrations for them on several different "real lutes", would agree with your speculation. The sound was less complex, and therefore what Ronn called "sweet". It was not a small sound, nor a "thin" sound - one might call it a "clean" sound. As to projection, it was similar to the other lutes, although that was hard to tell as all the students had 9 or more courses giving a fuller bass.

Let me digress into my totally amateur observations on sound production. You mentioned sound being "trapped in the belly", an interesting thought. I am in continual gentle argument with fellow harpists on the effect of the body of the harp on the sound - the woods and the shapes. The harp is unique to our stringed instruments - the strings pull directly from the soundboard, and most of the strings are harmonics (even if distant harmonics) from all the other strings. The object of the body of the harp is to support the sound board and not damp the vibrations of the sound board. The object of the soundboard is to pass the vibrations to the sympathetic strings. The sound production and complexity is almost all from the strings to the air.

On the other hand, the lute, the violin, the guitar, and all the others of that family use the body of the instrument to "mix" the sound. Note: harps don't have sound holes, the others do. The lute family transmits the vibration of the plucked or bowed string to the body through a bridge (the complex bridge of the violin family must have something to do with the way it is transmitted, can't see why it would be that way otherwise). That means the resonance of the body, and the contained air "column", must have something to do with the sound. I would guess that, unlike the harp, the shape and wood of the body and the air "column" would have a great deal to do with the complexity and projection of the sound.

The modern solid electric guitar uses electronics rather than an air column to transmit the vibrations, we can drop it as a design for a lute (although I'm sure one could make one that would sound almost authentic). Any instrument that uses air "column" needs an exit, else the air won't vibrate and resonate - it will just "bounce back and forth" and the instrument will sound "dead".

Wow, a lot of verbiage from one who is not an expert. I'd be interested to hear from real luthiers whether I'm off base, on base, or a couple of steps away. There must have been a reason for Edlinger to make the lute this way, perhaps it was for the "sweetness".

Best, Jon