-------- Original-Nachricht --------

   Betreff: [BAROQUE-LUTE] lute in Ryanair
   Datum: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 21:32:15 +0100
   Von: Bernd Haegemann [1]<b...@symbol4.de>
   An: lute list [2]<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>, baroque Lutelist
   [3]<baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>

Dear all,

Since I just completed my 10th flight with a baroque lute on Ryanair I'd
like to share some information.

Everything went very well, I have to admit.
I always had to book an extra seat, since the lute doesn't fit into the
overhead lockers. The instrument is put to a window seat and you get the
neighbour seat.
For the last 5 flights I always had the same (online) booking problem.
You are supposed to enter "Extra Item Seat" as "passenger" name, but I
kept getting strange error messages when I tried that. The telephonic
advice from the very friendly Ryanair help desk in Hungary (they speak
English! ;-)   was to try "Musical Instrument" (first name: Musical,
family name : Instrument) instead. That works perfectly.
Only a very philosophical security lady at a Belgium airport mourned:
"You created a new person!" But then she admitted that the person Mr. M.
Instrument was only to exist for the duration of this flight and
wouldn't have to suffer a lot.

Best wishes
Bernd