From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Daniel F. Heiman
Sent: 19 November, 2013 00:54
To: 'Anthony Hart'
Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Tablature for publication

Anthony:

Given the current state of the art, I would strongly encourage you to use
Fronimo to set the tablature version of your edition.   The cost of the
software is moderate given the amount of time and effort that has been put
into creating it.  Input of tablature is very easy and very quick.  The
fonts provided with the program are extremely legible and well-designed -
Francesco has worked hard to make the letters compatible so there are no
clashes between them when they appear on adjacent lines.   The fonts are
aesthetically pleasing, and there are styles based loosely on historical
examples from various traditions and tablature systems.  Rhythm signs are
included in forms that are specific for tablature.  Because the Fronimo
program is designed from the beginning for setting tablature, it includes
provisions for adding all the necessary ornament signs, many of which are
unique to tablature (and hence absent from general-purpose music software
like Finale). The current version (version 3) of Fronimo includes good
flexibility to define the spacing between rhythmic events and to adjust line
spacing, font size, positioning of titles and editorial notes, etc.

Regards,

Daniel Heiman