On 06/12/13 11:20 AM, erne...@aquila.mus.br wrote:
I am too young to understand how important he was once upon a time,
and his recordings do not fit into what I like to hear,
say Hopkinson Smith and alumni.

For a whole generation of lutenists, the first person we ever heard play the lute was Julian Bream, so he has a very special place in all our hearts. I've had several of the current generation of historically informed lutenists confess privately that they still love Bream's recordings.

I feel the same way about Wanda Landowska and the harpsichord. Even if the Pleyel harpsichords she used were well on their way to evolving into the piano, her musicianship shines through. Even Glenn Gould has his place, though what he played was neither harpsichord nor piano.

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory