Looking at the "whole package" let's consider these two situations:

1. My old pal Joe Mays plays with nails.

2. My archlute student has a very fine archlute by A. Holtz with this set-up:
    Single stringing throughout; Nylon, Carbon, and wire overspun basses.
    Very thick, single gut frets.
At nearly 67 cm. SL he has it- Nominal "G" instrument- cranked up to A-440. ("I'm an A-440 kinda guy." he tells me.)

OK, who is less "HIP"? We have had fingernails since, oh, about the early Triassic era when our primitive, pre-lute plucking ancestors were using their nails to claw bugs out from under rocks and presumably not bothering each other over the appropriateness of such usage.

We all know about the provenance of  the other stuff in #2.

I think I would rather hear Joe play that archlute- nails, teeth, mustache, and all- IF it was set up with:

Double gut courses 1 or 2 - 7 and gut diapasons,
Doubled frets, and of sizes more typically used back in the day; e.g, Dowland's sizing as he gives it in the "Varietie" Pitched no higher than a gut chanterelle will stand it for at least a week (if played no nails- another YMMV factor, of course!) I think about F, or A=392 for nominal "G" instrument. You can select whichever Italian city you want between Venice and Palermo from 1590 to 1740 to decide what nominal pitch you want to call it.

-Than to keep enduring the sound of this instrument as it's currently set up. But, my student knows it's not optimal and is willing to address the issues, one by one.

And of course, as mentioned, we are all different- some can't sound good on any instrument- even modern classical guitars- with nails, and other conscientious, well trained players get beautiful sound on guitars as well as lute family/old & double-strung instruments with nails. I've also heard no-nails players whose tone quality on the lute was worse nails on a blackboard. I'm one of the perhaps more normal/boring ones who has chosen the no-nail compromise route for best all-around sound on most of my instruments.

"On my 19th century Lacote guitar copy, no-nails sounds perfect and full."

Sterling, I would trade my modern classical guitar for yours in a heartbeat if you were crazy
enough to do so. David van Ooijen has really fine sounding one also. I just bought what I
could afford, and it actually is pretty good for what it is & costs. For maximizing
nonails response I will be experimenting with carbon fiber/KF and maybe NewNylgut stringing.
Maybe also a very light tension set, but tuned up to F or let's say "E" at old
Venetian pitch of A-465.

Dan