Dear Monica,

   Thank you for your two messages, and for correcting my mix-up of French
   queens. Yes, it was Catherine, not Marie, who was mother of Queen
   Elizabeth's "Frog".

   The Aria del Gran Duca was first performed at the Florentine Intermedii
   in 1589, and eventually became one of those tunes which everyone knew,
   and it turned up in many different guises. I am sure you are familiar
   with it yourself. Dowland visited Florence in 1595, and played the lute
   to Ferdinando I. He would no doubt have heard about Ferdinando's
   sumptuous wedding which had taken place six years earlier. He would
   have met Italian composers there, and it seems unlikely that the famous
   Aria would have passed him by. "Now, oh now" was published two years
   later in 1597.

   Catherine de' Medici was a Medici, so her son, the Duc d'Alencon, was
   the son of a Medici. Ferdinando I, at whose marriage the Aria was first
   performed, was also a Medici. There is a Medici link between Fernando
   and Alencon.

   Ferdinando was a great duke, the Gran Duca of the "Aria del Gran Duca".
   Alencon was also a duke, le Duc d'Alencon. Ferdinando and Alencon were
   both dukes.

   Much of what I wrote was already in the public domain, and the link
   between Alencon and "Now, oh now" has been accepted by most people now.
   What I think is a new discovery, is spotting the link between "Queen
   Elizabeth's Galliard" and "Say love". As with "Now, oh now", it's not
   just the melody notes which are the same; it's the bass and harmony
   which are the same too.

   Best wishes,

   Stewart.