On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:14:47 -0500, Bruno Fournier wrote
> dear collective wisdom,
>
> I am thinking of stringing my Colin Everette small archlute as a
> tiorbino.  As some of you might know, Colin built many renaissance
> lutes on the tiorbino model, with 13 or 14 courses but was stringing
> it as regular Renaissance tuning with the diapasons in the same
> tessitura as the bass strings of a renaissance.,
>
> has there ever been a concensus on how the tiorbino was strung? pitch
> ?

Well, if by 'tiorbino' you refer to the instrument needed for Castaldi's
duos then it needs to be strung an octave higher than a double-reentrant
theorbo, so you need the first _two_ strings like an renaissance lute in
an, and then everything up an octave. This only works with very short
lutes, the third string at high b natural is almost as high as a
renaissance treble lutes top.

> I seem to remember some discussion on this, whereas the first 3
> courses where at standard renaissane pitch in A, and  starting from
> 4th course down, the pitch was up an octave.

That would create a triple reentrant instrument. Nice idea, but it won't
work for Castaldi.

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes