@trj: A fist bump.

   On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM, <[1]theoj89...@aol.com> wrote:

     In the mid '80s, I was hired to play renaissance lute at some
     company's holiday party, and I was instructed to show up in costume
     (I had recently done a Twelfth Night in costume - and yes, there
     were tights). I arrived at the address and entered a large crowded
     party room with a disc jockey, sound system above 100 decibels
     pounding away the cheesiest disco, black lights, mirror ball; the
     works. I found the organizer and told her that there must have been
     some misunderstanding. She told the, no - she wanted me to dance
     around the dance floor with my lute and pretend like I was playing
     (my mind was quickly filled with images of a drunken reveler
     smashing into my lute and scattering splinters of wood across the
     parquet dance floor). Instead, I quietly packed up and left through
     the backdoor. Unexpectedly and to my pleasant surprise, I received
     my check for the entire agreed amount a week later. trj

   -----Original Message-----
   From: Edward Chrysogonus Yong <[2]edward.y...@gmail.com>
   To: Lute List List <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Sun, Mar 16, 2014 7:54 am
   Subject: [LUTE] Ornamental Lutes
   dear collective wisdom,

     so i was asked to play continuo for a HACURndel Concerto Grosso and
     spent some time

   working it out. at the first rehearsal i discover that the continuo
   line is also
   being played by 3 violoncelli, an electronic harpsichord, and a double
   bass all
   'playing out'.
   all of these are modern instruments, played aggressively by players
   more
   accustomed to symphonic music. full chords on my large archlute and
   twiddling
   nonstop means i am audible to the celli and to the conductor. the tutti
   violins
   on the other side of the semicircle have said they can't really hear
   me, so i
   wonder if i'd even be heard by the audience.
   i'm sure other lute players have done gigs like this, so what does one
   do in
   situations where one's lute seems largely ornamental? do i just make
   sure i look
   pretty?
   Edward
   ========

   II?III? I.I>>IuI-oIII?I 1/2I^1I-oII 1/2 II+-III'II?I 1/4IuI-I?I 1/2
   IuI-o IuI-I|II 1/2I?I IuI 1/4IuI IuIII 1/4II,I..
   HA| litterA| electronicA| ab iPhono missA| sunt.
   aeCURe>>aaeuae>>P:c, 1/4eae-oe-aaa 3/4iPhonea

   This e-mail was sent from my iPhone.