On 2014-04-20, 2:05 AM, Rob MacKillop wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't given much thought to using a quill,
    seeing it as more of a 4c lute technique, but I realise I am wrong in
    that. Both techniques were used on the 5c. I like improvising, so
    having the ability to do so over a tenor is something I'd like to work
    up.A
    I suppose one could play Fuenllana's 5c vihuela repertoire, though that
    might raise a few eyebrows, perhaps even a few heckles - something else
    for me to enjoy :-)
    But Fuenllana's approach of taking two parts from a Josquin mass
    setting could be hugely fruitful. Overall, though, I imagine more
    successes could be found in playing in small ensembles with other
    instruments, much as I have done before. I'm also more, though not
    exclusively, interested in what we might term the Northern Renaissance
    - plenty to look into there.A
    Thanks again. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I have a beautiful little 5c built by Ray Nurse after Arnault de Zwolle's design. I mostly use it for Dufay contratenors and monophonic dances. It had never occurred to me to try playing the tenors as well; I'll have to try that.

By all means try it with a quill (or a flat pick, when nobody's looking!) I call it my "electric lute" because it really penetrates in a small ensemble and balances well with other instruments.

Another thing to use as a pick is a wooden "orange stick" as used for manicures. These usually have one end cut off at an oblique angle, giving an oval end face. Use it so the oval goes across the string, the curved edge pushing the string towards the soundboard. This produces a much smoother sound.

These are instruments are great fun to play!

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory