I have a recurring go at making sense of the music from Besard's Novus
   partus, as it has a tendency to crop up in concert programmes with my
   duet partner.
   This is what I wrote for the LGS and LSA newsletters some time ago:
   Bizarre DuetsA
   Some years ago my duet partner and I were asked to play music by Besard
   in a concert. We put together a suite for two lutes a fourth apart,
   played through our individual parts and thought they were
   straightforward and unproblematic, save for a few obvious corrections.
   In our first rehearsal we were in for a surprise: clashing harmonies,
   false relations, unprepared a and equally unresolved a dissonances,
   bi-tonal cadences, parallel seconds ... The duets had all of this and
   more; was this music really intended to be played as duets? I had a
   frantic night of tidying up the parts and we got through our concert
   more or less unscathed. Ever since this experience, Besard is known to
   us as Bizarre. But of all the pieces we played in that concert, the
   Besard duets received the most praise from the audience; they
   positively liked his music! Last year we included a few of the duets in
   a concert programme again. Armed with the earlier experience, I set
   myself the task of correcting the original tablatures.A
   Jean-Baptiste Besard (ca 1567-after 1617) published several books of
   lute music, one of which, Novus partus, sive Concertationes musicae
   (Augsburg, 1617) contains compositions for two and three unequal lutes.
   To say the two parts of the duets don't match up is an understatement,
   and to me it is inconceivable these pieces were ever played as written.
   Did Besard have an extremely sloppy copyist or were the parts simply
   never tried out by two lute players? I suspect the latter, as each
   individual part does sort of make sense in itself. It's when played
   together that the problems arise. Restoring the parts into playable
   duets is a disheartening task; where to begin? And equally: when to
   stop? One correction inevitably leads to another and before you know it
   you'll have restored the music beyond recognition. I'll talk you
   through my process of reconstructing[i] the Branles de Village. This is
   a process of continual doubt and endless revisions of revisions. My
   version presented here cannot be more than a temporary version, waiting
   for yet another change of mind.A
   On page 28 of Besard's publication we find a set of Branles de Village
   of which the part for the lower lute bears a strong resemblance to the
   Branles de Village in Robert Ballard's DeuxiA(c)me Livre (Paris, 1614).
   I made a score of what I think is printed in Besard. This is the first
   caveat; the original tablature can be a bit hard to read, so I might
   have made some mistakes. When in doubt, do check the original. I have
   unified bar lines and numbered half measures.
   The First Branle
   The first nine measures are fine. Measure 6 has two passing dissonances
   that add some spice. Alternatively, we could regard them as a
   foreboding of things to come. The next 9 measures contain a bi-tonal
   cadence in measure 14: the testudo minor goes to D-major while the bass
   lute plods on in G-major. But if we don't listen to this ostinato bass
   part as having a harmonic function we can enjoy the harmonies in the
   top part. It's where implied harmonies of C-major and e-minor in the
   testudo minor are not supported by the ostinato bass that I lose my
   harmonic bearings. This happens especially in the cadences that end
   phrases. In one of my more severe revisions I did acorrect' these
   spots, but this time I have decided to leave them unchanged.A
   The Second Branle
   The testudo minor has a strong cadence in D-major again in measures 23
   and 27 with the bass part still relentlessly staying in G-major. These
   places are grating on my ears more than measure 14, because of the note
   e in the bass part on the first beat (actually creating parallel
   seconds with the melody of the top part). Not to mention the parallel
   seconds from measure 26 to 27. It's interesting to see, by the way,
   that in the corresponding place in the first phrase (measure 5) the
   testudo minor does end in G-major, together with the testudo maior. The
   last note of measure 30 is c# in the testudo minor against c-natural in
   the bass part. I've changed the latter to c#. In the testudo minor,
   measure 30, I've also changed the second note e to d, but left all
   other oddities as they are. Measures 33 and 34 have an interesting case
   of imitation. Both parts play the same theme simultaneously, in measure
   33 with one lute starting on the note d and the other on the note e,
   reversing their roles in measure 34. Perhaps it was a joke by Besard,
   but if it was it didn't resonate with me, so I changed all themes to
   start on the note e.A
   The Third Branle
   In measures 41 and 46 the cadences in the testudo minor are for once in
   concordance with the bass part. It almost feels odd.A
   So far things went rather smoothly. There are many clashing
   dissonances, but the ostinato bass covers all discrepancies between the
   parts with a blanket of unifying wholesomeness; it's acceptable, of
   sorts, as long as we don't listen to the bass as a harmonic bass. Much
   like in some pop or jazz music where the bass has a rhythmic function
   that's unrelated to the harmonic progressions in the song. And
   listening to Besard's branles like this is spot on: it's popular music
   with a strong rhythm section provided by the bass lute, a simple
   harmonic progression in the middle and one or two freely improvised
   solos on top. Clashing dissonances are all part of the game and we
   shouldn't let our harmony and counterpoint rules spoil the fun. But
   then comes the fourth branle.A
   The Fourth Branle
   In the fourth branle the ostinato bass is replaced by a harmonic bass.
   However, the harmony implied is not always followed by both parts. I
   have tried to correct the most offending places, but kept an open ear
   to the spicy possibilities shown in the first three branles. I decided
   to forego niceties as avoiding parallel octaves or fifths, but have
   been less lenient with parallel seconds. The appropriateness of false
   relations is a matter of taste, acquired taste even, so you might not
   always agree with my attitude towards those.A
   Find my arrangement in tablature. I've not changed so much in this
   version. I must say the version we played in our last concert was much
   more de-wrinkled, and I might well resort to that version again for the
   next public performance, but as it is I seem to have acquired a liking
   to the quirky dissonances of Besard, however bizarre they may seem at
   first hearing.
   ________________________________
   [i] I was greatly helped by Rocky Mjos, who willingly lend me his
   reconstruction for inspiration.
   *******************************
   David van Ooijen
   [1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   [2]www.davidvanooijen.nl
   *******************************
   On 22 May 2014 23:37, Ron Andrico <[3]praelu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

   > A  A Hello Thomas:
   > A  A I have spent a bit of time with the ensemble music in Besard's
   Novus
> [...]
   many others
   > A  A suffering from attention-deficit disorder, had a difficult time
   > A  A sticking with the plan when he invented his new tuning. A Then,
   once one
   > A  A sorts out the errors resulting from the tuning issues, the
   divisions
   > A  A wind up sounding less than interesting. A You might want to do
   as I have
   > A  A done - and others who have attempted to make sense of this music
   have
   > A  A done - and just use Besard's lute ensemble music as a general
   outline
   > A  A for creating better quality ensemble music. A Meanwhile, you
   might check
   > A  A out Julia Sutton's work on Besard's Novus Partus.
   > A  A "The Music of J. B. Besard's "Novus Partus", 1617 Journal of the
   > A  A American Musicological Society, Vol. 19, No. 2 (Summer, 1966),
   > A  A pp.182-204
   > A  A RA
   > A  A > Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:40:25 -0500
   > A  A > To: [4]jmpoiri...@wanadoo.fr; [5]mar...@luteshop.co.uk;
   > A  A [6]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > A  A > From: [7]twlute...@hotmail.com
   > A  A > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Besard's Novus Partus
   > A  A >
   > A  A > Thanks kindly, everyone! It's what I suspected, but the
   comparative
   > A  A > rarity of an "ordinary" lute in reentrant tuning sent my
   looking for
   > A  A > some verification.
   > A  A > Cheers,
   > A  A > tom
   > A  A > > Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 20:17:25 +0200
   > A  A > > To: [8]mar...@luteshop.co.uk; [9]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > A  A > > From: [10]jmpoiri...@wanadoo.fr
   > A  A > > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Besard's Novus Partus
   > A  A > >
   > A  A > > " Nous appelons celui-ci "Nouveau Luth" non parce qu'il
   aurait une
   > A  A > forme (construction) nouvelle, mais seulement `a cause du
   nouvel
   > A  A > accord, qui n'est pas ingrat selon l'opinion de maintes
   (personnes).
   > A  A > C'est nous qui l'avons invente un jour. S'il differe peu en
   accord du
   > A  A > theorbe (comme on l'appelle), pourtant bien avant de connaitre
   cet
   > A  A > instrument j'accordais souvent le luth de cette maniere, mieux
   apte
   > A  A > pour la musique de n'importe quelle voix. Et ce seulement
   parce que
   > A  A > (par rapport `a l'accord ordinaire) la basse frappe l'oreille
   de
   > A  A fac,on
   > A  A > plus claire, sonore et nette. Pourtant pour cet accord il est
   > A  A > absolument necessaire de composer de morceaux speciaux."
   > A  A > >
   > A  A > > Voici la traduction du passage de Besard proposee par
   Dimitri