From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Thomas Walker
Sent: 15 December, 2014 14:03
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] those sarabands

   Greetings all--
   I know the sarabande was originally a lively ditty which morphed pretty
   thoroughly by the late 17th century.  I have a question about the
   middle ground, in particular the sarabandes found in Ballard's prints
   from the 1630s, though.  Many seem to "work" whether played lively or
   stately, and I know of an old Bailes recording where he positively
   burns through a sarabande by Mesangeau.  I also have played sarabands
   in ensemble works by Jenkins et al that demanded a lively reading.
   The question is, what textual evidence do we have for expected tempi of
   sarabandes of the French school 1610-1640?
   Thank you kindly,
   Thomas Walker, Jr.