Stuart, I've just read your interesting essay, and, if I may, I'd like
   to say a word or two...
   The two parts you highlight in red in the Con Spirito of Serenata II
   are very easy to play in C Major tuning - Oswald has many such passages
   - they fit easily under the fingers. What is difficult about the
   interval d-f? That works out to be the 2nd fret on the 6th string, and
   the 1st fret on the 5th string. I can't for the life of me understand
   why you call that "awkward, quite difficult to play, and doesn't sound
   very well".A
   There are many moments in the Serenatas which sound more like Oswald's
   Divertimentis than "lots of other guittar music of the time". Compare
   the octave passage in the Con Spirito with the 7th Divertimenti of
   Oswald, for example. And compare the Largo opening with Divertimento
   11.A
   I must have played through literally hundreds of pages of guittar
   music, and can say with some confidence that the composer of the 12 and
   18 divertimenti haunts the 12 Serenatas.A
   And why did you quote at length the worst biography of Oswald ever
   compiled? That "Blagger's Guide" does not help your case, I'd say. But
   your point is that Oswald was "a chancer" - a bit crude, but I tend to
   agree. He knew what sold. But he also wrote some of the finest guittar
   music. The best biography of Oswald is by Dr John Purser, and
   accompanies his CD-Rom publication of Oswald's Caledonian Pocket
   Companion.A
   No matter, I welcome your essay, especially as we seem to arrive at the
   same conclusion, that Oswald did write these pieces.A
   If anyone wants to see the scores and hear the guittar music of Oswald,
   they are welcome to visit my website devoted to the
   instrument:A [1]http://scottishguittar.comA - there is much on the site
   already, and much more to come.
   Rob MacKillop

   On 16 December 2014 at 23:37, WALSH STUART <[2]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>