To me it looks even inspired by aboriginal art
Greet

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Namens
Alexander Batov
Verzonden: maandag 2 februari 2015 1:01
Aan: wayne cripps; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Onderwerp: [LUTE] Re: Can you tell something about this instrument?

This looks like a rather typical 'master piece' by Leopoldo Franciolini
(late-19th - early-20th century dealer and forger). Although there is a view
that he occasionally used some genuine parts from old instruments
(personally, I very much doubt he did), there is nothing original on this
one, so both dates are irrelevant.

If I remember correctly, there is a very similar sort of 'oddity' in the
Museu de la Musica, Barcelona; also with inlaid body and early date.

Alexander