Dear Lute Friends,

   The following may be of interest to one or two of you, if you ever have
   occasion to play for a church service.

   For the last year and a half I have played lute (or recorder) at my
   wife's church. I began playing 16th-century repertoire during the
   offertory and communion but then thought that it would be nice to play
   something recognizably liturgical. After performing a number of pieces
   by Elias Reusner, I decided to attempt my own arrangements of some
   well-known hymns. Each arrangement includes a transcription of the
   organ part given in the hymnal at some point and a number of variations
   of my own composition.

   The choir director, who holds a doctorate in early music, has been
   pleased with these arrangements, and they have been very well received
   by the congregation (who were perhaps just practicing the virtue of
   charity). Sometimes the choir sings the hymn right after I have played
   the instrumental version, which works quite well, I think.

   You can find the complete tablature for the collection and the
   tablature for each individual piece as well as an mp3 recording of each
   arrangement at this link:
   [1]http://www.verseandsong.com/song/renaissance-lute/arrangements-of-ch
   urch-hymns-5/ . I wish I could say that I am happy with my recordings
   of these pieces, but they will at least give you enough of an idea of
   how they are supposed to sound to let you decide if you would like to
   give them a try. Click on an individual title to hear an mp3 of that
   piece, or use the playlist at the bottom of the page to listen to the
   entire collection without interruption.

   The collection consists mostly of Renaissance hymns, though one is much
   older and one more recent. Included are the following titles:

   Lobe den Herren
   (Praise to the Lord, the Almighty)

   Grosser Gott
   (Praise to the Lord, the Almighty)

   Nun danket alle Gott
   (Now Thank We All Our God)

   Hyfrydal
   (Love Divine, All Loves Excelling)

   Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland
   (Savior of the Nations, Come)

   Es ist ein Ros
   (Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming)

   Wachet auf
   (Sleepers Wake)

   O Welt, ich muss dich lassen
   (O Food to Pilgrims Given)

   Herzliebster Jesu
   (Ah, Holy Jesus)

   Herzlich tut mich verlangen
   (O Sacred Head, Sore Wounded)

   Christ lag in Todesbanden
   (Christ Jesus Lay in Death's Strong Bands)

   Slane
   (Be Thou My Vision)

   Martyrdom
   (As Longs the Deer for Cooling Streams)

   I hope a few of you will find this music useful. If you do try any of
   these arrangements and notice something unmusical or have a better
   suggestion for a particular passage, please be so kind as to let me
   know.

   Best regards,

   Stephen Arndt