I've long thought that there was something missing from the way most of
   us learn to play baroque music, whether on lute or guitar. Some of us
   have studied figured bass playing, it's something I particularly
   enjoyed doing, though I haven't done any for years. But rarely do we
   step beyond that practice, and I believe that only a very, very small
   percentage of us are happy improvising baroque counterpoint in Dm
   tuning.

   I was fascinated to learn that one of my jazz guitar heroes, Steve
   Herberman, teaches a class online called Going For Baroque. You have to
   buy the class, but an overview video is available:

   [1]http://youtu.be/u9oZ5Us0sfQ

   It would be really interesting to transfer his approach to the Dm lute.
   One would really get to know the instrument and tuning well, and
   discover many contrapuntal finger movements which could be used in
   improvising fugues or dance movements.

   I'd like to know your thoughts after watching the video.

   Rob MacKillop

   [2]www.robmackillop.net