Thanks, all. I get the picture, and it's what I was thinking, but it
   could be clearer!
   Rob

   On 10 September 2015 at 13:15, Ron Andrico <[1]praelu...@hotmail.com>
   wrote:

      The text seems to play upon the correspondence of macrocosm /
      microcosm, a topic much discussed in Elizabethan times.   You could
   wade
      through the rather involved but useful descriptions happily digested
   in
      Tillyard's The Elizabethan World Picture and draw your own
   conclusions.
      Of course, Elizabethan philosophy was a mashup of Classical ideas,
   Old
      Testament gloom and doom, New Testament redemption, and an intricate
      dance around contemporary political current events.
      I think the text rather echoes Montaigne:
      "Who have persuaded [man] that this admirable moving of heavens
   vaults,
      that the eternal light of these lampes so fiercely rowling over his
      head, that the horror-moving and continuall motion of this infinite
      vaste ocean were established, and continue so many ages for his
      commoditie and service? Is it possible to imagine so ridiculous as
   this
      miserable and wretched creature, which is not so much as master of
      himselfe, exposed and subject to offences of all things, and yet
   dareth
      call himself Master and Emperor."
      - Montaigne, Essais, Livre II, Chapitre XII: Apologie de Raimond de
      Sebonde
      But I find the dual meaning of "point" in the poetry an interesting
      conceit; both a location and, as in music, a theme "wrested this way
      and that" in counterpoint.   In the poet's context, the "world"
   seems to
      be the equivalent of the universe.
      RA
      > Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:28:31 +0100
      > To: [2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
      > From: [3]robmackil...@gmail.com
      > Subject: [LUTE] What If A Day lyrics
      >
      > Does anyone have any idea what the following excerpt from What If
      Day Or A Month Or A Year means? It has left me scratching my head...