On 2015-12-27 7:43 AM, Daniel Shoskes wrote:
I’ve been having fun with the Lauffensteiner g minor “concerto�
(andante:https://youtu.be/q9dV2QbcBc8
<http://youtu.be/q9dV2QbcBc8>). In the Brussels Ms it has parts for 2
violins and 1 cello (OK, 2 treble clef instruments and a bass clef
instrument with figures). In performance of pieces like this, how do
people handle balance of instruments? Clearly having the other
instruments in gut would help but it’s still a struggle to have the
lute loud enough in comparison with the strings. Mics? Mutes? Just
play as loud as you can all the way through?

I played lute a lot in ensembles like this. You're louder than you think. I was convinced no one could hear me, but I've listened to recordings and the lute is quite audible. Remember this is not a solo part, but a continuo part blending with the bass instrument. It helps to keep the lute part simple, either just doubling the bass line or chords, so maximum energy goes into the lute notes.

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory