On Dec 27, 2015, at 10:43 PM, Matthew Daillie <dail...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> 'm not familiar with this particular music but as a general rule I suspect
> that one key to successful performance is using the instruments the composer
> had in mind

I remember reading somewhere that ivory lutes were much louder. Also, I recall
someone from one country being quite surprised how much louder the lutes (or
theorbos?) were in another country. Sorry, there is no way I could recall where
I read that, but it was probably in either the LSA Quarterly or the Lute News
or one of the journals.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch