Dear Martin,

Waissel 1592 is a bit tricky:
He says that all of the "Bomhart" have an octave - but he doesn't give a
complete terminology for all the strings (excepted the names deriving from the
tablature like "Tertia", which ist the third course, in the German tablature
the cipher 3). So we can't say if he's speaking in the tradition of "grosser
Bomhart / grössten Brummer" (= 6th course), "mittlerer Bomhart / mittel
Brummer" (5th course) and "kleiner Bomhart / kleiner Brummer" (= 4th course)
like older treatises as Newsidler.

If the tradition is broken, I don't know any German source in which this "new"
tradition with only two "Bomhart / Brummer" appears. So without any new proofs
for a broken tradition I would say that in the German countries the octave
until the 4th course is living at least until Waissel in 1592 - but it's not
certain.

Have a nice 2016!

Andreas