I never went to the soldering iron either until recently and I’m still
undecided. For a long time I used the gas stove and a stainless butter knife. I
could control the knife temp very easily and make a beautiful flat bulb on the
gut end, too. Often the soldering iron gets too hot for me.

A candle with the knife on a stack of CDs/cassettes can work but be sure you
have a low-to-zero soot flame or it _will_ get messy.

Sean