Several people have spent parts of their academic career on optical
character recognition of tablature. Of course, given the error rates,
a human musician might still be useful to proofread any automatic
output.

I am not aware of a playback function, but once the sound information
is digitalised, a MIDI output should be possible to program. (But then
again, "since when is MIDI music?")

Christoph Dalitz & Tim Crawford (2013): From Facsimile to content
based retrieval: the electronic corpus of lute music. Phoibos -
Zeitschrift für Zupfmusik 2/2013:167-185.
http://lionel.kr.hsnr.de/~dalitz/data/publications/phoibos-ecolm.pdf

Christoph Dalitz & Christine Pranzas (2009): German Lute Tablature
Recognition. Conference Paper, read at the 10th International
Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR 2009,
Barcelona, Spain, 26-29 July 2009. doi:10.1109/ICDAR.2009.52
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220860518_German_Lute_Tablature_Recognition

Possibly also relevant in this context:

de Valk, R. (2015). Structuring lute tablature and MIDI data: Machine
learning models for voice separation in symbolic music
representations. (Doctoral thesis, City, University of London)
http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/15659/