If your theorbo is tuned to A 430  that is in fact the same as playing
   G when tuned at 480 hz (more or less) , so if you play theorbo in G,
   which should be easy enough, all you have to do is tune down to G @ A
   440.
   if however A is a better key to realize the continuo for this Gig, then
   tuning up a quarter tone should be OK.
   Bruno

        Lute List,
        Thanks for all of your advice on the Lully and A440 . . . I knew
     there
        would be lots of opinions out there and sound practical advice.
        I'm leaning towards tuning the theorbo to G; I'm familiar with
     the
        tuning and think it should fit fairly well. I might also tune up
        440, but I've had some bad experiences with that in the
     past--ripped a
        bridge off a baroque guitar using a mix of strings rather
     carelessly--I
        made up my mind not to ignore string tensions after that! I also
     think
        of Flatt and Scruggs, the old bluegrass band from the 1940s and
     '50s;
        they played everything up a half step on their instruments in the
     early
        years and then all of their instruments (banjo, guitar, fiddle,
        mandolin, bass) developed problems, usually neck warping. But I'd
     be OK
        with a little more tension on the theorbo; less so the guitar . .
     .
        G theorbo seems to match the pieces well anyway.
        Gary
        On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Ron Andrico
     <[1][2]praelu...@hotmail.com>
        wrote:
        It's interesting how lutenists can get tangled up in the web of
        complexities concerning string materials and tensions and the
     most
        historically appropriate instrument for a particular style of
     music.
        In an ideal world, it would be nice to time travel and play the
        "correct" instrument for music of Lully, complete with unwashed
        clothes, unbathed musicians, and a big jerk who keeps pounding
     his big
        stick on the floor, drowning out any subtle flourishes you may
     wish to
        add.    You may even wish he would accidentally pound his own
     foot with
        his stick and die of gangrene.
        The point is the music, and we should be flexible and take
     advantage of
        the opportunity to add our plucked strings and informed approach
        whenever reasonably possible.    I say tune it up and play
     musically.
        RA
     ______