   From: Mathias Rösel <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>
   To: 'lutelist Net' <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 31 August 2017, 17:00
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Building a lute - decision
     The gallichon (numerous other cognates) is an instrument invented in
     Bohemia around 1660 to take advantage of the newly invented overwound
     strings - it became popular in central Europe and Northern German
     states. The earlier version was generally tuned with the first course
     at a (top line of bass clef) with six strings tuned in intervals
   below
     like the modern guitar.
   Not a e B G D C? (Talbot; Janowka)
     No doubt the name came from a germanic language
     corruption of  the existing 3 and 4 string Italian colascione
   According to Janowka, who was Bohemian, its original name was Galizona,
   or
   Colachon. No doubt, it was confused with the colascione, but my guess
   would
   be that names like Galizona, Calichon, Colachon originated in a Slavic
   environment, rather than Germanic.
   Mathias