Sometimes, in the hand of a master, a little anachronism helps -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJZOxqB-qk

On 09/06/2017 11:11 AM, Ron Andrico wrote:
    I should add a comment to my previous remarks.  We have seen several
    other period productions aired by BBC and their affiliates where the
    attention to detail is remarkable.  This is particularly true in
    Victorian era productions where parlor music is featured with singers
    using a natural voice are accompanied by (sometimes barely tuned)
    period pianos.  The result convincing.  But when directors have a
    choice between getting the costumes right down to the wrinkles and tiny
    buttons or using authentic music, we know which choice they'll make.

    RA

    From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf
    of Ron Andrico <praelu...@hotmail.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:24 PM
    To: lutelist Net
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: Wolf Hall

       >Movies mess up the music and/or historical facts nearly all the
       time...
       I wonder why that is?  - on behalf of Tristan von Neumann
       In my experience, film directors and, more specifically, the large
       herds of their minions are always, always, always more concerned
    with
       images, dialogue, actions, and sounds that they think will sell to
    the
       average viewer.   In Hollywoodland, so-called authenticity comes
    across
       as nothing more than pedantic, which is OK for a 15 second clip now
    and
       again.  And it's just a plain fact that music directors have very
       little interest in any music they did not discover for themselves.
       That's why you hear Mozart in Tudor film dramatizations, and
    screaming
       power chords setting the tone for Louis XIV.
       Besides, it's common knowledge that in order to get your music into
       film, you have to be very well connected.  It rarely matters whether
       the music is appropriate - or even good.
       RA