     From: [3]lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:[4]lute-arc@cs.dartmouth.
     edu] On Behalf Of Alain Veylit
     Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 11:17 AM
     To: Lutelist
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Mandolino versus Mandola
     Thank you Eugene.
      From having read a variety of sources now, my current understanding
     is that the mandola is a mandolino with one additional course: i.e.
     5-courses when the mandolino had 4, and 6 when the mandolino had 5.
     It's all relative... Specially if you consider that the modern
     mandola seems to be a bass mandolin, tuned in fifth one octave down.
     Yet, at least one piece in the Dalla Casa collection labelled for
     mandolino requires a 6-course instrument.
     Anyone Italian who could tell me what the meaning of the word
     "Gordini"
     is? (I don't mean the Renault sports car...) Was it a profession?
     Alain
     On 12/04/2017 07:40 PM, Braig, Eugene wrote:
     > I had used a word that the listserv's robot flags as a request
     instead of a message.   Here remedied with far more words than
     necessary.

     > Eugene

     issues don't appear to be available for sale yet, and my university
     doesn't [pay a fee to periodically receive editions of] the British
     journal.

     > Some sources attest to the (largely) interchangeable nature of the
     terms, and some attest to "mandola" referring to generally larger
     instruments (e.g., in both cases, Herre, Susanne. 2012. The mandolin
     in relation to the lute: a historical survey. Lute News 104:9â23.
     In the latter case, Morey, Stephen. 1993. Mandolins of the 18th
     Century. Editrice Turris, Cremona.   Etc.).   I've seen Orlandi
     write in at least one place (I don't recall which, but can look for
     the reference if you're really curious) that "mandola" may have
     simply referred to the addition of the sixth course (i.e., g) as it
     was becoming more common following a five-course-dominated
     tradition.   That may be implied by the Dalla Casa manuscript which
     gives a "mandolino" tuning in five courses (i.e., b, e', a', d'',
     g'') and several works for "mandolino" in that range, but that also
     features a "Suonata con Grave" for "mandola" with the melody line
     descending below.   Etc.   . . .   But you've already touched on al!
      l those possibilities, and I suspect from the same sources that I
     cite here (as well as a couple others), Alain.

     > However, I don't want to weigh too heavily upon this topic until
     I've seen what Davide has recently published.