This is a pretty difficult question, but I'd like to hear some thoughts.

As you might know there are people more or less on the synaesthetic side.
Such perception is no doubt to be looked for in Early Music too.
The Lute is also an instrument that furthers synaesthetics, due to the fine colors possible depending on where you fret a note, or where you pluck above or near the rose or near the bridge. Also, the range of chords, for example deep bass notes combined with high fretted chords.
(This I believe is possible in a much greater range than the modern guitar).

According to your experience, which composers seem most keen to color notes or chords, possibly also pointing to a synaesthetic perception?