In his latest Memo video, Lukas Henning plays another Marco recercar
   'senza canto' and adds a few inventions of his own for a lute with
   several broken strings!
   [1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=g-Lzgk8N-yM
   Best,
   Matthew
   On 30/01/2018 19:56, Dan Winheld wrote:

     SO glad to hear that someone else has discovered this wonderful
     bizarre masterpiece by Marco... I have been studying and practicing
     it for about a year, almost memorized. It is the ultimate
     "Recercar/fantasia senza il canto" ever written; surpassing all
     other pieces of this tiny subgenre; generated of course by the
     unfortunate frequency of chantarelle disintegration- usually
     mid-performance, esp. in the pre-nylon string days.
     I highly recommend it; especially as a study piece. It's probably a
     lousy recital/concert piece unless you are playing for a small group
     of lute nerds. And, most importantly; if you try to play it on a
     lute with unison basses it will sound like crap. Really! A high
     quality 6 (or 7) course, and the 8ves MUST include courses 4 and 5
     as well as the other basses- and this piece really pops! Actual gut
     helps too, we want crisp enunciation of the notes as you fret up to
     7 & 8 frets on the bass  courses.
     The only other piece of music in any category that I have heard that
     starts on the lowest bass notes and stays there for so long is
     Gorecki's Symphony #3 "Sorrowful Songs" -utterly different mood,
     though. Marco's is very upbeat, almost humorous.
     Giacomo Gorzanis is another lute composer/player who repeated
     phrases changing only courses and positions for tone color reasons.
     Dan