>   You are quoting what Thurston Dart wrote in 1957. But Jean-Marie has
>   convincingly mentioned the letter which proved that lord Herbert was
>   involved in trying to get Jacques extradited back to France and
>   therefore "would not likely collect music by him". Of course, this is a
>   bit flimsy, as you could probably always distinguish between music and
>   the person in question.

Exactly, one has to distinguish between music and the person in question. I
doubt very much if this affair would discourage Herbert to collect Jaques music
if he thought about it highly.

> Some of those Gaultier pieces in Cherbury were
>   however published both in Besard and in Varietie, 1603 and 1610
>   respectively, and Jacques would have been only 3 and 10 years at that
>   time, so not likely by him. There is of course a possibility that some
>   of the pieces were by Ennemond and some by Jacques. Further research
>   may prove this.

As I wrote in my post Edward Herbert was collecting music during his life
initially probably in form of sheet music which he copied later into his lute
book, so exact attribution is very difficult. I never wrote that all the pieces
titled Gaultier are identified. However, at least some of them seem to be
composed by Jacques Gaultier, and this is not only mine and Thurston Dart’s
opinion.

>   As to the amateur status of lord Herbert, you only have to listen to
>   O'Dette's CD to completely loose this presumption. Many of the pieces
>   in the manuscript, are magnificent and highly professional and require
>   a high degree of dexterity to perform.

I know Paul’s CD, but amateur doesn’t mean ignorant, or worthless. Writing
„amateur” I meant that he played and collected music not for money, but rather
for his personal entertainment. And this is what he wrote about himself:
„I attained also to sing my part at first sight in music, and to play on the
lute with very little or almost no teaching…my learning of music was for this
end that I might entertain myself at home…”

Best

JL