Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy in Capirola's instructions,
   Tristan.  I have often wondered about how to "embellish the note with
   just one finger".
   Where he describes the two ornaments he gives two specific examples.
   The first example is for the dotted cipher:

   pluck the first course at the second fret, hold that finger and with
   another one make the "shake" at the third fret.
   This seems uncontroversial, though it does leave us wondering what it
   can mean when the dotted cipher is the same as the written note.
   The second example is also specific:

   you have the third course at the first fret: I have to write it down as
   it is without [using the red] dots. I will put them, these two red dots
   above the figure .I. It means that you have to embellish the note with
   just one finger
   When the string is stopped at the first fret as described, the grace
   does indeed use only one finger.  The problems only arise when you
   assume that even when it is marked on higher frets he still expects you
   to use one finger.  I suspect that when he says you use one finger he
   is referring only to the specific case of the first fret, as in his
   example.
   As you say, vibrato is a possibility, but the second grace does seem to
   be used mostly on the first fret, and sometimes the third, where it's
   hard to get much effect.  I wonder whether vibrato might be the answer
   to the "same cipher" problem, except that that only occurs on the third
   fret, and in contexts where a vibrato seems unlikely.
   All the best,
   Martin