I guess you are right, Martin.

Anyway, we cannot grasp the range of unwritten ornaments, even the ones who classified them can't really describe how to play it so it sounds good. And some sources say that there was lots of inégale playing and other devices even back then. I guess everything that enhances the experience without watering down the polyphony is allowed, and intuition will do the rest.