Tristan wrote to me directly without copying the list.  Out of respect to
whatever his intent may be, I will not forward his personal reply.  I will,
however, share my own replies to him:

"Yeah, I don't mind looking foolish.  Given the semi-improvisatorial nature of
Indian classical music, any modern recording of raga to overlay any set
renaissance composition must be coincidental.  Given humanity's aural
expectation of resolving to a cadence or nyasa [the Indian version of cadence],
I would assume a fair number of coincidences between the two would occur.
Assuming conclusive proof of causation (instead of simple coincidence) without
supporting documentation strikes me as fallacious.  I am a scientist on the day
job and my parlance is skepticism."

Thinking more on this, if a modern recording of semi-improvised raga does
overlay a written renaissance fantasia by virtue of inspiration, that
inspiration is more likely to have been in the opposite direction of that
proposed.

And, regarding why sections might roughly align between raga and renaissance
fantasia and that the inability to "hear" constitutes my own dwelling in
"darkness" (the tastiest criticisms are omitted here), this was followed by:

"Coincidence.  Music tends to be organized into 'sections' wherever it's
occurred.  The expectation of evidence beyond coincidence doesn't feel like
darkness to me."

To the first note I had appended:

"I would have copied this [reply] to the list, but am not certain why you
didn't, Tristan.  I suspect it may be to contain a joke, to see how far it can
be carried among the uninitiated."

I will await the scholarly publication following peer review.

My best wishes are with you all.

Eugene