You didn't mention the string length of your lute so we can't judge whether
0.44 is the right diameter or not (it would certainly be far too much for a 60
cm lute and would explain the snapping strings).

Unfortunately breakage is a common problem with the current Nylgut top strings,
particularly the 0.40 gauges. There best stuff was the shiny nylgut made in
2014 (apart from the first batch which was dodgy) but as apparently some
players complained about the fact that it was smooth and didn't have any
surface texture (??!!) they stopped producing it for lutes.

You could try La Bella or K├╝rschner nylon. Some players also like carbon
strings but I find them too thin for top courses.

Good quality gut is obviously very satisfactory sonically but you would be
extremely lucky to find any for a chanterelle that lasts more than a couple of
days of intensive playing.

There is at least one string maker using silk (an interesting, historic
alternative) but I have no experience of that and I don't know whether he makes
gauges suitable for chanterelles.

Best,

Matthew