Wow!! Thank you Sterling!

This will save on fret-gut and that's great! But think of what I will save on
shoes!!!

Joseph Mayes
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of
spiffys84121 <spiffys84...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:20 AM
To: Lute list
Subject: [LUTE] How to tighten frets

   I was going to make a video, but I think a few words will suffice.

   To tighten a loose fret, move the fret up to a very loose position
   until you can push one end of the fret through the knot. Pull it as
   tight as it will go just as you did when originally tying the fret.
   Usually you will get only a few millimeters of extra. Now, burn the
   existing bit with a soldering iron or match or flame-thrower or however
   you make heat. Put the fret in position. Now you'll never have to use
   ridiculously lame shims under your frets again.

   The very first time I put frets on a lute as a kid I said-"oh, you can
   tighten them if they get loose." And ever since then I've wondered why
   people use shims, or even the completely baffling practice of replacing
   loose frets. "Do they," I wondered "replace their shoe laces every time
   they tie their shoes?"

   Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think we can end this strange shims and fret
   replacing practice in our lifetimes.

   Sterling