On 16/03/2018 04:39, Edward Martin wrote:
Thanks Daniel.

Yes, I have that old LP and also the old recording of LeRoy and Paladin he did
on that Goffriller copy.  Someone recently told me that Nico van der Waals is
alive, living with a German Lutenist. Since Nico has never used computers, I
shall ask that Lutenist if he/ she knows anything or could ask him.  It seems
as though Nico van der Waals is the only person we know of who has knowledge in
this area.

I will be seeing Amit Peled who has the Pablo Casals Goffriller cello on
Sunday, and I want to tell him about the extant Goffriller lute, assuming there
IS a Goffriller copy anywhere. I hope this is not a hoax, but the claim was
years ago that Paul played his alto lute as a Goffriller copy, but nobody has
documentation now of the existence of a Goffriller lute.

The plot thickens........

Sent from my iPhone

The strange thing is that the dates don't seem right at all. The lute Paul O'Dette plays is a 6-course and Goffriller was active in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. He did have a son who was a luthier but he would have been even less likely to make a 6-course.

Best,

Matthew